Gun bag - part 1



I recently made a canvas roll-top bag for my Baikal 12 gauge. Essentially, I made a drybag for my gun, to protect it during transportation while waterfowling.

The list of materials is very simple.
All the materials used, were bought at: www.laederiet.com

  • 1 piece of 10oz canvas. Large enough to go around the gun, and about 15cm at the stock end for the roll-top. Remember to add enough fabric all the way around, for the stitches.
  • A 1m piece of 25mm cotton webbing for the roll-top.
  • A 25 mm plastic connector buckle.
  • A 1,5m piece of 30mm cotton webbing for the carrying strap.
  • A 30mm rein slide and a 30mm oval ring for adjusting the strap.
  • Waxed linen thread for the hand sewn parts.
First, I folded the canvas letting the fold run straight along the length of the bag. Then, I marked the shape of the bag out, making sure there was enough fabric to go around the gun, and added 2cm for sewing. At the stock end, I left 15cm for the roll-top.

I then cut the canvas and secured the two layers with pins, before it was sewn on my sewing machine. The bag is sewn inside-out, hiding the stitches on the inside. 
Make sure, not to sew the last 3cm at the top, or the fabric becomes very thick when folded in the next step. 


Turn the bag outside-in, and fold the top 1cm over, to secure and hide the edge under the webbing. Then sew on the webbing. Remember to test the length of the webbing with the buckle on it.




I ended up only using one oval ring and the rein slide.

I waited to mark the position of the strap, because I wasn't sure exactly where to put it. This made the attatchment of, especially the bottom end, very dificult. I knew I wouldn't be able to sew it with the machine, but I hadn't thought that there wouldn't be proper space for my hand in the barrel part of the bag. That made it a bit tricky.
I'd definitely recommend attaching the strap before closing the length of the bag.

The strap is attached to the bottom. runs through the rein slide and the oval ring, and is attached to the rein slide. The oval ring is sewn onto the bag with a seperate piece of webbing.

The finished gun bag.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fundamentals.